DVD SVCD Forum Foren-Übersicht
FAQFAQ     SuchenSuchen     MitgliederlisteMitgliederliste     Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesenEinloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen     ProfilProfil     LoginLogin      RegistrierenRegistrieren 

DVD SVCD Forum Foren-Übersicht -> NEWS (tagesaktuelle Infos)
VirtualDub 1.5.0 released
Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
Autor Nachricht
Helmut 
globaler Moderator

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Beitrag Beitrag 0 - Verfasst am: Do Feb 20, 2003 17:39    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Zitat:
2/16/2003 News: VirtualDub 1.5.0 released
VirtualDub 1.5.0 is out. From the user's prospective, 1.5.0 consists mostly of bug fixes, not the revolutionary change you would expect from a major version bump. The reason for the major bump is that the program has been internally restructured, breaking out some code into libraries and cleaning up the build process significantly. Sources are no longer split across four archives and sylia.dll is no longer statically linked, which should simplify project management a bit.

That is not to say that there are no new features in this release, however. 1.5.0 is the first release to have audio filtering, which has been a requested feature for some time. Now, the audio filtering system is quite rough at this point -- it's not optimized, and the filter selection is a bit sparse. You also cannot write external audio filters yet, although that is definitely going to change. The current selection of audio filters consists mainly of miscellaneous algorithms that I have been playing with for a while within a sandbox WinAmp 2 plugin:

Center cut. The classic "vocal cut" filter, except that the output is stereo instead of mono. This is accomplished through FFT phase analysis; the output will have some warbling in it, but stereo separation is preserved. Also known as the "make your own karaoke to embarrass yourself with" filter.
Ratty phase shift. A time-domain, sawtooth-swept delay line, with rake-like correlation to smooth out the jumps. Good for about +/-20% variation in pitch.
Now, you might ask what a pitch shifter is good for with video. Well, 1.5.0 also contains a stretch filter that allows you to slow down or speed up audio, like a tweaked tape recorder. Combine a stretch and a matched pitch shift, and you get a time stretcher. If you set the pitch shifter and stretcher to the same ratio and tweak the video frame rate to match, you can speed up or slow down video. (Yes, you can now make "Sakura Saku" even faster!) I'm still looking for a better pitch shift algorithm -- the current version has problems with clicking when multiple dominant tones are present. I tried a frequency-domain version once, but it didn't work out too well: frequency-based algorithms don't like sharp attacks and tend to "smear" them, making percussives sound mushy.

Welcome to virtualdub.org!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Beitrag Beitrag 1 - Verfasst am: Mo Feb 24, 2003 20:08    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Zitat:
/22/2003 News: VirtualDub 1.5.1 released
When you said you wanted free software, you should have specified you wanted bug-free software.

I wouldn't have released 1.5.1 nearly this quickly if it weren't for the glaring bugs in the 1.5.0 release. The biggest one, the random crash in the menu bar, is system-specific. I actually put 1.5.0 through a short beta test period since I knew the heavy refactoring I had done broke a lot of code; surprisingly, even though the testers did a great job and found a number of bad glitches that I fixed before release, none of them noticed the menu bug. I can't even reproduce it on the general version, but it did appear on the P4 version when I actually used the mouse to control the program. Stupid stack-sensitive bugs. The glitches in the capture module were due to some in-progress conversion of filename handling to Unicode -- a couple of subsystems in 1.5.0 are capable of accepting Unicode filenames under Windows NT/2000/XP, and this will grow with time. The simple truth is that QA is labor intensive, nondeterministic, and boring. Which is basically why most projects, commercial or not, don't do enough of it before shipping 1.0. Asymptotic version numbering schemes are a popular remedy.

On the good side, I received ~100 crash traces for 1.5.0. Which means that, in spite of the crash context additions I made to the source code, I escaped the cardinal embarrassment of shipping a crash handler that crashes.

I recently discovered a few interesting additions to the Visual C++ .NET code generator that didn't exist in Visual C++ 6.0 SP5+PP. One of them is constant evaluation of static initializers, which means you can, for instance, declare a global 3D vector constant and have VC7 optimize it down to pure initialized data. The second is that VC7 can generate the bswap instruction intrinsically (_byteswap_ulong()), which is great for bitmap processing and MPEG bitstream parsing. Third, the undocumented compiler switch /QWMIemu causes VS.NET to emit SSE2 instructions with a lock prefix instead of a size override prefix for software emulation purposes. This borders on absolutely useless, but it's interesting.

DVD SVCD Forum Foren-Übersicht -> NEWS (tagesaktuelle Infos)
Neue Antwort erstellen

Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.

Datenschutzerklärung